St. Joseph County Obituary Index - Search
This database is an index to local obituaries published in local newspapers, primarily the South Bend Tribune. Types of records included are obituaries, death records, arrangements pending notices, funeral notes, news articles, and memorial announcements. The index was started in 1913, but older records from other local papers are now being added with the goal of creating a comprehensive source for obituaries in our area. This index is an ongoing project. Volunteers and staff continually add current and historic obituaries, hunt for and enter missing records, and make corrections to existing records. For more details about the titles and dates covered by this index, contact Local & Family History.
- Do not use a comma to separate first and last names.
- The order is not important: first name last name, or last name first name.
- The case is not important: john jones, John Jones, or JOHN JONES.
- Search for first name or last name only, or for fragments of names; "libb" will bring up entries for people with first names "Libby" and "Libbie" as well as last name "Libby."
- Advanced searching allows you to search for additional information, on its own or in combination. You can search for the address, city, and state of residence and also the decade of publication. Furthermore, you can search the "Notes" field for spouses' names, professional titles and degrees, veteran status, and more. (Not all records contain all information.)
The full records listed in this database can be viewed by visiting Local & Family History Services at Main Library. Remote or homebound patrons can also complete the Research Request form.
If you have questions about the contents of this database or need help with it, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.